The following instructions may be helpful when preparing for your upcoming surgery. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last minute questions. We can be reached at Old Orchard Periodontics Phone Number 847-982-0640 during regular business hours.
- Take all daily medications as prescribed by your physician (if any) unless otherwise indicated.
Example: high blood pressure medication, or insulin should be taken as directed.
- Take all medications we prescribe as indicated.
This may include:
- If sedative or anti-anxiety medication is to be taken before your appointment, patients must be escorted to and from the office by a friend or member of family.
- Unless otherwise indicated, do not take any over-the-counter blood thinners such as aspirin or coated aspirin one week before surgery. Coumadin or any other prescription blood thinners need to be discontinued at least 3 days prior to your surgery under your physician’s supervision. Acetaminophen (Tylenol™) is permitted.
- If you should become ill the week preceding surgery, please advise the office of your situation 48 hours before the appointment.
- Please refrain from using facial cosmetics, especially lipstick.
- Comfortable, loose clothing is advisable, with short sleeves or loose fitting sleeves that can be rolled up to take blood pressure.
- Please limit yourself with regard to social and business appointments the day of the periodontal surgery. Excessive talking or movement of facial muscles will aggravate the surgical site. Refrain from exercise for 3 days after surgery.
- On the day of the surgery, you may eat a normal breakfast and lunch unless otherwise indicated.
- Please avoid caffeine and tobacco prior to your scheduled treatment.
- Be prepared to limit your diet to cool, soft foods for the first 24 hours following treatment. This may include Jello™, ice cream, yogurt, Ensure™, Carnation Instant Breakfast™, apple sauce, cottage cheese, etc. Warm soft foods are usually suggested for the day after surgery. This may include pasta, soups, or mashed potatoes.